Back to Top
Top Nav Content Site Footer
University Home
College of Health Professions & McAuley School of Nursing

History

NA History

Detroit Mercy, a Catholic university in the Jesuit and Mercy traditions, exists to provide excellent, student-centered undergraduate and graduate education in an urban context. A Detroit Mercy education seeks to integrate the intellectual, spiritual, ethical and social development of students.

The University mission evolved from the educational traditions of its sponsors, the Society of Jesus and the Sisters of Mercy. These Catholic traditions emphasized concern for the dignity of the person and for the common good of the world community. The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) founded the University of Detroit in 1877. The Sisters of Mercy, Province of Detroit, founded Mercy College of Detroit in 1941. Together these religious congregations created a partnership in higher education to establish University of Detroit Mercy in 1990. Each religious congregation brings its spirit to the mission of the University. The spirit includes commitment to quality education, their service of faith and promotion of justice, and compassionate service to persons in need.

University of Detroit Mercy Graduate Program of Nurse Anesthesiology has two antecedents. The Mt Carmel Mercy Hospital/Mercy College of Detroit Program of Nurse Anesthesia graduated its first class in 1942 at Mt. Carmel Mercy Hospital, Detroit. It awarded a diploma (1942-1980), a Bachelor's degree (1980-1985), then a Master of Science degree (1985-present). The Program offices were located at St. Joseph Mercy-Oakland (Pontiac, Michigan) from 1990-2004. The program transferred to the sole governance of University of Detroit Mercy in 2004, and moved its offices from Pontiac, to the McNichols Campus in Detroit, in September 2004.

The Henry Ford Hospital/University of Detroit Graduate Program of Nurse Anesthesiology was affiliated with the University of Detroit from its inception in 1985. All graduates were Master of Science-prepared. The consolidation of Mercy College of Detroit and the University of Detroit in 1990, resulted in the two nurse anesthesia programs sharing an academic affiliation, while retaining separate clinical tracks and accreditation. The HFH/Detroit Mercy program closed voluntarily in late 2002, and its current students transferred to, and graduated from, the Detroit Mercy program.

The Registrar at Detroit Mercy can provide transcripts and verification of degrees obtained at Mt Carmel, Mercy College of Detroit, St Joseph Mercy Oakland (Pontiac), Henry Ford Hospital, the University of Detroit, and of course University of Detroit Mercy. Learn how to contact the Registrar to obtain a transcript. Please contact us if you need any assistance.

Back to Top